Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Saints in Guatemala - January 19th


Crazy how time flies. I still remember the afternoon we arrived in San Lucas Toliman, a sunny hot day. It hit me last night that I am in Guatemala. If you would have asked me two years ago if I would be here right now I would have most likely started laughing.

This morning we split up into two groups, one went to the brick house and one to the wood house.
I got split into the group at the brick house. For about the first two hours we moved one big pile of dirt to one side of the house to the other. During the last hour we mixed concrete and helped the locals pour it into the footings. Also got to speak and work with Oscar, a young boy who only spoke Kaqchikel, one of the many Mayan languages spoken in Guatemala.

During the afternoon we surprisingly had no work. We were fortunate enough to listen to a lady speak about personal accounts during Guatemala's recent civil war. Really hit me when she spoke all of the tragic that occurred. After we went to play a game of soccer with some of the workers from the mission. Overall very successful day. Going to miss many of the friendly faces especially the dogs.

Brenden Legaspi
Lady speaking about her experience from recent civil war.

One of the dogs from the mission.



No comments:

Post a Comment